Casseroles are comfort food. This casserole is a family favorite combining breakfast sausage, rice, veggies, and crunchy French fried onions. It's perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Sausage & Rice Casserole
- Yield: 6
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 30 min
- 2 c. water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c. uncooked parboiled or Jasmine rice
- 1 lb. ground breakfast sausage (not maple)
- 3 stalk celery-chopped
- 1 medium onion-chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1-2 c. French fried onions
- Bring water and salt to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage.
- Drain any fat. Add onion, celery, and garlic. Sautee over medium heat for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Stir in cream of chicken soup and cooked rice.
- Either pour into a casserole dish and top with French fried onions OR if skillet is oven proof, leave the casserole in the skillet and top with onions.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until topping is crunchy.