Some people hear the word risotto and they think that’s it’s just too complicated to cook. Well it really isn’t that complicated, but time consuming maybe. In the end you will not be disappointed. Risotto pairs beautifully with shrimp, fresh herbs and seasonal veggies. This dish will be perfect for your next gathering.
saffron risotto with shrimp
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cooking Time: 45 min
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine, (Preferably Sauvignon Blanc
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons evoo
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 lb large to extra shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Pinch of saffron
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shrimp seasoned with, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Cook until the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan. Add shallots. Cook until translucent about 3 minutes. Next add the garlic cook for 30 seconds. Add the rice. Stir until well coated and translucent (about 2 minutes). Add the wine. Cook and stir often, about 2 minutes. Add the broth and season with salt and pepper. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for about 15 minutes until creamy.
- Finally add the peas cook for 1 minute next add the shrimp back to the pan. Stir and add fresh parsley. Serve.