Every Thursday, I head to the farmers market here in New Jersey to grab fresh produce for the week - it’s amazing! The beets are always the first stand I hit. When I get home, I quickly wash and dry em’ then toss them into the oven while I un-pack my remaining produce. An hour later - those earthy red beauties are tender and prepping their way into my go-to salad for dinner.
When I first created this salad, it was basically to use up my left over celery before it went limp. I chopped it up, tossed it with freshly roasted beets and a few more ingredients to pull it all together. That result - is now our weekly favorite. It’s always the unexpected that turns into a nice surprise. Gorgeous, bright, fresh, tender, crunchy, earthy and healthy with a tangy creamy finish from the goat cheese.
Me personally, this salad and a piece of crusty Italian bread... and I’m all set!
For a complete lunch or dinner, serve with roasted chicken or fish.
Roasted Beet Salad
- Yield: 2 servings
- Prep Time: 12 min
- Cooking Time: 45 min
- 4 medium red or golden beets - discard tops (if desired) and roots, clean & dry beets
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- kosher salt / fresh finely ground black pepper
- ¼ cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 freshly squeezed lemon (3 tablespoons) + zest - divided
- 8 caper berries - rinsed
- 3 celery stalks with leaves - sliced on an angle
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place beets onto a foil lined rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over the beets and season with salt and pepper. Place another piece of foil (same size) on top of the beets. Crimp and seal the foil all the way around the edges, creating a sealed foil packet.
- Bake until tender when pierced with a pairing knife, 45 minutes - 1 hour. Remove. Carefully open the foil packet to release the steam and let cool.
- Place beets inside a large paper towel (viva preferred) and rub off the skins, working one at a time. Cut beets into wedges and toss in a large bowl with olive oil, lemon juice, caper berries, celery, pistachios, 1 teaspoon salt and 5 turns on the pepper mill (or to taste).
- Transfer and arrange the beet salad onto a large serving platter with juices. Dollop with goat cheese on top, garnish with celery leaves and lemon zest.