Rhubarb, cream cheese and a crumb topping make this coffee cake perfect for a weekend breakfast or Spring Brunch.
Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 ½ cups sugar, divided
- ½ cup butter, softened + 2 tablespoons, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, diced into cubes
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 ½ cups flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 14 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, combine rhubarb and 1 cup sugar.
- Cook over medium heat until rhubarb is softened, sugar is dissolved and mixture is thickened.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream together the ½ cup butter and 1 ¼ cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the lemon zest.
- In another bowl, combine 2 ¼ cups flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup combine Greek yogurt, water and almond extract.
- Add the flour mixture and yogurt mixture, alternately, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- When combined completely, fold in the diced cream cheese.
- Spread the batter into prepared baking dish.
- Spread the cooled rhubarb mixture over the top of the batter and using a knife swirl the rhubarb into the batter.
- In a small bowl, add remaining ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup flour and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Stir until mixture becomes crumbly.
- Sprinkle over the top of the coffee cake.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.