A delicious blend of fresh baby kale, roasted butternut squash, dried cranberries, walnuts and a red wine vinegar dressing. You have to try this!
Red Quinoa Butternut Squash Kale Salad
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 small to medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper; to taste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups baby kale, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup walnuts; crumbled
- about 1-2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped finely
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Cook the red quinoa according to package directions on stove top. Using a lined baking sheet, spread out the butternut squash cubes evenly. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. Watch to ensure it doesn't burn.
- While the butternut squash is in the oven, prep the dressing: whisk together the red wine vinegar and honey. Taste and adjust amounts if necessary. Set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, mix together the cooked quinoa, the roasted butternut squash cubes, kale and the dried cranberries. Add in the walnuts and chopped parsley. Drizzle on the dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt if desired. Serve immediately.
The dressing here is very light; and a little goes a long way but if you want to make more, keep the proportions: 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar to every 1 tablespoon honey.