A melt in your mouth pumpkin cake with warm spices topped by a brown sugar frosting.
Pumpkin Cake with Penuche Frosting
- Servings: 1 slice
- Yield: 8 - 10 servings
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cooking Time: 55 min
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup milk, any variety
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup milk, any variety
- 2 - 2 ½ cups confectioners' sugar
- Make the cake. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8 or 9 inch round cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment, butter the parchment, and flour the whole pan, tapping out any excess.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, cream 1 stick room temperature butter and ¾ cup granulated and ¾ cup light brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. I did this by hand but a hand or stand mixer would work as well. Add the vanilla and eggs and mix until once again light and fluffy. Add the pumpkin and ½ cup milk and mix until fully combined. Add the flour mixture and mix until a batter is formed.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and bake 40-50 minutes, rotating halfway through if necessary, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with only a few moist crumbs. Allow cake to cool in pan about 20 minutes, before gently loosening from the pan and inverting onto a cake plate. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cool, make the frosting. In a small saucepan, combine remaining butter and sugar over medium heat. Stirring frequently, bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. The mixture will harden. Loosen it with a spoon and add the remaining milk, stirring until it is fully incorporated. Add 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar and mix to combine. Continue adding sugar in ½ cup increments, until the frosting is quite thick but still spreadable. Immediately pour frosting onto cake, focusing in the middle. Spread to cover almost the entire cake, leaving about ¼ inch boarder.
- Cake may be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or frozen, wrapped in parchment and foil and placed in a zipper bag in quarters for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature for several hours.