A melt in your mouth pumpkin cake with warm spices topped by a brown sugar frosting.
Pumpkin Cake with Penuche Frosting
- Servings: 1 slice
- Yield: 8 - 10 servings
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cooking Time: 55 min
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup milk, any variety
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup milk, any variety
- 2 - 2 ½ cups confectioners' sugar
- Make the cake. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8 or 9 inch round cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment, butter the parchment, and flour the whole pan, tapping out any excess.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, cream 1 stick room temperature butter and ¾ cup granulated and ¾ cup light brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. I did this by hand but a hand or stand mixer would work as well. Add the vanilla and eggs and mix until once again light and fluffy. Add the pumpkin and ½ cup milk and mix until fully combined. Add the flour mixture and mix until a batter is formed.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and bake 40-50 minutes, rotating halfway through if necessary, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with only a few moist crumbs. Allow cake to cool in pan about 20 minutes, before gently loosening from the pan and inverting onto a cake plate. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cool, make the frosting. In a small saucepan, combine remaining butter and sugar over medium heat. Stirring frequently, bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. The mixture will harden. Loosen it with a spoon and add the remaining milk, stirring until it is fully incorporated. Add 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar and mix to combine. Continue adding sugar in ½ cup increments, until the frosting is quite thick but still spreadable. Immediately pour frosting onto cake, focusing in the middle. Spread to cover almost the entire cake, leaving about ¼ inch boarder.
- Cake may be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or frozen, wrapped in parchment and foil and placed in a zipper bag in quarters for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature for several hours.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!