Growing up in a blue collar Italian community just north of Boston, Sunday suppers at my grandmother’s house were almost as religious as going to church. My earliest memories are deeply associated with the aromas that filled her contemporary style home built by my hardworking grandfather. Walking into her kitchen, you were guaranteed to find a giant pot of tomato sauce (or gravy as we call it in our family) bubbling on the stovetop and a couple of chickens sizzling in the oven atop roasting potatoes. The smells of potatoes and tomatoes cooking simultaneously is the quintessential aroma of my childhood and the inspiration for this comforting side dish.
Potatoes and Tomatoes
- Yield: 6-8
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 45 min
- 2 T Vegetable Oil
- 2 Lbs. new potatoes, sliced into rounds
- 6-8 Cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
- 4 Cherry tomatoes, whole
- 2 Cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small Yellow Onion, sliced
- 1 sprig of fresh oregano, minced
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In a cast iron skillet or baking dish place 2 T vegetable oil, potatoes, and tomatoes
- Season with salt and pepper
- Toss to coat evenly
- Place in oven and roast until potatoes are soft, about 30 min.
- Remove from oven and add remaining ingredients
- Season with salt and pepper if needed
- Return pan to oven and continue to cook until onions begin to caramelize and potatoes are golden brown, about 15 minutes
- Transfer to serving dish, drizzle with a fine and fruity olive oil, enjoy!