Home made ramen noodles with pork belly, pickled onions, and a perfect broth.
- 1 pound pork belly
- 3 cups flour (for the noodles)
- 4 teaspoons baked soda
- ½ Cup wam water
- ½ Cup cold water
- 1 large red onion
- Soy sauce
- Gyoza sauce
- Chicken stock
- Rice wine vinegar
- White wine vinegar
- 1 bunch scallions
- Make the pickled onions first. Bring at least two cups of water to a rolling boil.
- Add the sliced red onion and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dissolve ½ tsp. sugar and ½ tsp. salt in ¾ cup of rice wine vinegar.
- Drain onions and add them to vinegar mixture. Set aside.
- Make the noodles. Start by dissolving 4 tsp. baked soda in ½ cup warm water.
- Add 3 cups AP flour and mix.
- Add in the ½ cup cold water and mix til it comes together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- While the dough chills, make the broth for the soup.
- Mix in a pot equal parts chicken stock, gyoza sauce, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste.
- While broth is simmering, cook the pork belly.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Score the skin with a chef's knife.
- Season with salt, pepper, and a little sugar.
- Ideally, you would have let this cure overnight, but it's okay otherwise.
- Put the pork in at 450 for half an hour.
- Then reduce temperature to 275 and cook for an additional 60 minutes.
- Take pork out and let rest.
- Prepare noodles. Cut dough into six segments.
- Run each segment through a pasta machine until you hit number three on the dial.
- Then run it through the pasta cutter.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt generously.
- Add in one batch of noodles and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain noodles and rinse in hot water.
- Put into a bowl and ladle broth over.
- Cut pork belly and place on top of noodles.
- Place pickled onions on top along with sliced scallions.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!