These portable breakfast treats are a homemade take on popular Pop Tarts, with flavors inspired by a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Fresh strawberry jam is enclosed in a flaky whole wheat crust with a hint of cinnamon. The pies are topped with a sweet peanut butter glaze and lightly salted fresh peanuts.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Pocket Pies in Whole Wheat Crusts
- Servings: 1 pop tart
- Yield: 12 pop tarts
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cooking Time: 35 min
- For the Whole Wheat Pop Tart Crust:
- 1-½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup cold buttermilk
- For the Strawberry Filling:
- 2-½ cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- For the Egg Wash:
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- For the Peanut Butter Glaze:
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter, room temperature
- 1-¼ cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons whole milk
- ½ cup chopped salted peanuts
- Prepare the crust dough: In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse both flours, sugar, cinnamon and salt to combine. Scatter butter overtop and pulse several times, until the butter is the size of peas. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolks and buttermilk. Add half of the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring with a fork to combine. Add the remaining buttermilk mixture, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time, stirring after each addition, until dough begins to hold together in moist clumps.
- Transfer dough to a large piece of plastic wrap and shape it into a 6-inch (15 cm) square. Wrap the square tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour (or up to 2 days.)
- Prepare the strawberry filling: In a medium saucepan, combine the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, mashing strawberries with a potato masher until broken down. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove mixture from heat, cover and chill until cold.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half of the dough to a 13-inch (33 cm) square. Using a paring knife or a pizza cutter, trim square to an even 12-inches (30 cm). Cut the square into 12 rectangles, 3 by 4 inches (7.5 by 10 cm) each. Transfer rectangles to the prepared baking sheets, spacing apart.
- Brush the surfaces of the rectangles with the egg wash. Place about 1-½ to 2 tbsp (22 to 30 mL) of the strawberry filling in the center of each rectangle.
- Repeat the process in Step 5 with the second half of the dough, creating 12 more rectangles. Place one rectangle on top of each strawberry filling, pressing edges firmly to seal. Crimp edges with the tines of a fork.
- Freeze pies for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F/180C, placing racks in upper and lower thirds positions.
- When ready to bake, pierce tops of tarts 3 or 4 times with the tip of a sharp knife. Bake for 28 to 34 minutes, switching positions of baking sheets halfway through, until pies are puffed and golden brown. Let cool on sheets on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the glaze: In a small bowl, mix peanut butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough of the milk to make a glaze that is thick but one that you can drizzle. Using a fork or a spoon, drizzle glaze over warm pies and sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Serve warm or at room temperature.