Memorial Day Weekend is only a few weeks away, and it is almost necessary that some type of patriotic dessert is served at our poolside BBQs and beachfront rendezvous. This Patriotic Berry Tart, with light lemon cream and fresh berries is festive enough for your Memorial Day party or summer occasion. The cream cheese layer tastes light and citrusy, and combined with the crisp pastry and berries, it’s a heavenly summer dessert. A no fuss dessert when you’re looking for something quick to bring to a BBQ, it’s also a definite crowd pleaser.
Patriotic Berry Tart
- 1 tablespoon flour, for dusting
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 (8 oz.) tub Cool Whip
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided
- 2 cups fresh mixed berries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- On a surface lightly dusted with flour, roll out puff pastry slightly and transfer to baking sheet. With a knife, gently trace a 1-inch border around the edge of the puff pastry, careful not to cut all the way through. Brush beaten egg on the outside border and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden and puffed.
- Remove from oven. With your hands in oven mitts, gently flatten the center of the pastry. Cool at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- While cooling, make the cream cheese mixture. Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add Cool Whip, lemon zest and 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar, beating again until fluffy and smooth. If pastry is not cooled yet, refrigerate until ready to use. Spread the mixture evenly within the border of the cooled pastry sheet.
- Arrange your fruit in desired pattern on top of pastry, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Hello Today Food!
I am Molly Shapiro, creator of The Preppy Hostess (www.thepreppyhostess.com), a food and entertainment blog and website based in Orlando, FL. In addition to my online presence I am a frequent contributor on NBC WESH-TV (Orlando) morning news and on DaytimeTV on WFLA-TV (Tampa). I’ve also done segments on (NBC 6, Miami) Six in the Mix and ABC Good Morning Washington.
I’ve been a member of TODAY Food since the beginning of the program. It’s been a great platform for me to connect with a network of talented people, most recently at the South Beach Wine and Food Festival! I’d love to have the opportunity to share some of my fabulous recipe ideas with TODAY!
Here are links to two of my recent segments:
“I started this blog in August 2013, as a way to share my passion for cooking, baking and creating with other young adults. The intentions for this blog were simple: share with other young adults, my love for food creation as an art form and as a way to entertain and meet new friends. People my age are often not interested in planning and hosting dinner parties, creative baking and desserts, wine tasting or sampling the latest Chevre, and I want to change that. Not only is cooking a life skill, it is a way to express, share and nurture. Since starting the blog I have attracted about 30 thousand followers (of all ages!) and am growing rapidly.”
I would be thrilled to have the opportunity to be on the Today Show – to take my message to a national scale!