Italian Pasta and Bean Soup—Pasta e Fagioli! This version has great depth of flavor, texture and takes half the time!! Don't be overwhelmed with the list of ingredients! Anyone can make this and you'll find yourself making this over and over again . . it's delicious!
Pasta e FagioliPrep Time: 25 min Cooking Time: 40 min
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta or 3 slices bacon, chopped fine
- ½ lb. lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 medium sized carrot, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 celery rib, chopped fine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste (to taste)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 Parmesan cheese rind
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 ½ cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 to 1 ½ cups elbow pasta
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the bacon and lean ground beef and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, for about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain just a little of the fat if needed (depending on how lean your ground beef is). Stir in the onion, carrots and celery and cook until vegetables are softened, for about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and anchovy paste and cook until fragrant, for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, scraping up any browned bits. Add Parmesan rind and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer to blend flavors, for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, water and 1 teaspoon salt. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Discard Parmesan rind. Off heat, stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.