This recipe transforms one of your childhood favorites into a healthy dinner. Feel like a kid while eating pizza bagels that won't leave you feeling tired, bloated or guilty. Chock-full of vegetables, these are a favorite for people of any age! These bagels are 100% customiz-able. You can make them vegetarian, vegan, meat lovers--just like your favorite pizza! By losing the flour crust, you are upping the vegetable content which means more fiber and more nutrients.
Paleo Pizza Bagels
- Servings: 2 Pizza Bagels
- Yield: 3 Servings
- Prep Time: 35 min
- Cooking Time: 35 min
- ¼ chopped red onion
- ¼ chopped red or yellow bell pepper
- ½ lb ground Italian Sausage (spicy or sweet--you could also use a leaner meat if you are watching fat content!)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 16oz cauliflower, riced (or one bag riced cauliflower)
- 1 TBSP Frontier Natural Products, Pizza Seasoning (or 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp crushed fennel seeds, 1 tsp oregano)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3 oz mozzarella cheese (optional!)
- 2 TBSP almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- If you are using sausage or ground meat on your pizza, heat a medium sautee pan over medium heat. Cook the ground meat in the sautee pan until cooked through.
- Using a food processor, pulse your cauliflower until it is the size of rice.
- Put the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl, salt it and microwave for 4 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Using a clean dishtowel, strain the water out of the cooled cauliflower.
- Add the pepper and the rest of the spices to the cauliflower. Mix until incorporated.
- Add the two eggs, and almond flour to the cauliflower mix and stir using a fork until the cauliflower begins to stick together a little bit.
- Grab a handful of the cauliflower mixture and begin to press it into your greased donut pan (https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Nonstick-6-Cavity-Donut-Pan/dp/B004CYELOQ). You want each donut to be a little more than half full.
- Add about 2 TBSP of sauce to each "bagel." Then, top with cheese if you are using cheese. On top, spread your toppings, like peppers, onions and sausage.
- Put the bagels in your oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the pan, and top with a baking pan. Flip the donut pan so that the bagels are upside down on the baking sheet. Allow to cool completely before trying to remove. This will take 20-30 minutes on the counter. To expedite, put the whole pan in the fridge.
This recipe is naturally gluten-free and paleo. If you add cheese, it can be Primal or vegetarian. It could easily be vegan as well. Who doesn't love pizza bagels!?