By far the only overnight French toast recipe you will need, to create an overnight sensation and turn it into tradition among family and friends visiting overnight.
Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Yield: 12
- Cooking Time: 50 min
- 1 loaf French, Italian bread, Brioche OR Croissants, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Non stick spray
- 7 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk, OR 1 can of evaporated milk (REDUCED FAT OR SOY WILL NOT GIVE THIS CASSEROLE THE NECESSARY FAT CONTENT IT REQUIRES)
- 1½ cups heavy cream (OR HALF AND HALF) BOTH WHOLE MILK AND CREAM ARE NECESSARY
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (COULD USE SUGAR SUBSTITUTE IF YOU WISH
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp of Maple Syrup
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg (OPTIONAL)
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1⅓ cups packed light brown sugar OR (USE SPLENDA BLEND. YOU WOULD USE THE REDUCED AMOUNT OF COURSE)
- 3 Tbsps Lyle's Syrup OR Light Corn Syrup
- 2 cups pecans, chopped coarse (OR WALNUTS)
IMPORTANT: PREPARE THE CASSEROLE 8-24 HOURS BEFORE
FOR THE CASSEROLE:
- Coat a 13 by 9 inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until combined and then whisk in the milk, cream, granulated sugar, vanilla, syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg, if using.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread and press on the bread lightly to submerge fully.
FOR THE TOPPING:
- Mix in the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup together until smooth, then fold in the pecans or walnuts.
TO STORE OVERNIGHT:
- Place the topping in a separate bowl covered tightly and refrigerate both the topping and the covered casserole overnight or for at least 8 hours.
NEXT MORNING (TAKE OUT THE CASSEROLE FROM THE REFRIGERATOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES PRIOR SO IT CAN COME TO ROOM TEMPERATURE.):
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover casserole and sprinkle praline topping evenly over the top of the bread casserole, breaking apart any large pieces. Place the casserole on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until puffed and golden, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven (IT WILL DEFLATE AS IT COOLS DOWN).
- SPRINKLE CONFECTIONERS SUGAR IF DESIRED.
- Serve warm. Syrup may be used but may not be necessary as this is sweet enough, it will be at your discretion.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!