By far the only overnight French toast recipe you will need, to create an overnight sensation and turn it into tradition among family and friends visiting overnight.
Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Yield: 12
- Cooking Time: 50 min
- 1 loaf French, Italian bread, Brioche OR Croissants, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Non stick spray
- 7 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk, OR 1 can of evaporated milk (REDUCED FAT OR SOY WILL NOT GIVE THIS CASSEROLE THE NECESSARY FAT CONTENT IT REQUIRES)
- 1½ cups heavy cream (OR HALF AND HALF) BOTH WHOLE MILK AND CREAM ARE NECESSARY
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (COULD USE SUGAR SUBSTITUTE IF YOU WISH
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp of Maple Syrup
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg (OPTIONAL)
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1⅓ cups packed light brown sugar OR (USE SPLENDA BLEND. YOU WOULD USE THE REDUCED AMOUNT OF COURSE)
- 3 Tbsps Lyle's Syrup OR Light Corn Syrup
- 2 cups pecans, chopped coarse (OR WALNUTS)
IMPORTANT: PREPARE THE CASSEROLE 8-24 HOURS BEFORE
FOR THE CASSEROLE:
- Coat a 13 by 9 inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until combined and then whisk in the milk, cream, granulated sugar, vanilla, syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg, if using.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread and press on the bread lightly to submerge fully.
FOR THE TOPPING:
- Mix in the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup together until smooth, then fold in the pecans or walnuts.
TO STORE OVERNIGHT:
- Place the topping in a separate bowl covered tightly and refrigerate both the topping and the covered casserole overnight or for at least 8 hours.
NEXT MORNING (TAKE OUT THE CASSEROLE FROM THE REFRIGERATOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES PRIOR SO IT CAN COME TO ROOM TEMPERATURE.):
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover casserole and sprinkle praline topping evenly over the top of the bread casserole, breaking apart any large pieces. Place the casserole on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until puffed and golden, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven (IT WILL DEFLATE AS IT COOLS DOWN).
- SPRINKLE CONFECTIONERS SUGAR IF DESIRED.
- Serve warm. Syrup may be used but may not be necessary as this is sweet enough, it will be at your discretion.