An enchilada dinner sans the cheese and flour tortillas?! You heard it right! You'll never miss the dairy and gluten with this one-pot wonder made with quinoa and a special avocado cream that will blow your mind!
One-Pot Quinoa & Chicken Enchilada Skillet with Avocado Cream
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cooking Time: 25 min
- 4 large chicken tenders or 2-3 medium chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 bell pepper of choice, sliced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- juice of ½ lime
- 1 large avocado
- ½ cup lite coconut milk or almond milk
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat coconut oil in large cast iron skillet or pan on the stovetop over medium/high heat.
- Add chicken tenders or breasts to the skillet. Sear 4-5 minutes on one side, then flip to cook 4-5 minutes on the other.
- Add enchilada sauce, water, quinoa, sliced green pepper, and spices to the skillet.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat to a simmer and cover the mixture for about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place one large avocado, ⅓ cup cilantro, juice of one lime, ½ cup almond or coconut milk, and salt to a blender or food processor and blend until well combined.
- Once most of the liquid is gone and quinoa is soft (after about 12 minutes), add the black beans and lime juice.
- Take pan off the heat and let cool slightly before adding the avocado cream sauce to the top.
- Serve immediately.