Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Family Favorites

ONE POT BRAZILIAN CHICKEN AND RICE

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

A hearthy and comforting one pot Brazilian chicken and rice dish for those cold nights where you just want to put all the ingredients together to cook in one pot and eat it thirty minutes later. This is a very colorful and flavorful dish.

ONE POT BRAZILIAN CHICKEN AND RICE

• Servings: 6 people

Ingredients

• 6 pieces bone in chicken thighs
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 2 T dried oregano
  • 3 T vegetable oil
  • 1 small white onion, small diced
  • 1 head garlic, minced or mashed
  • 2 cups of fresh corn
  • 2 ½ cups rice
  • 2-3 cups chicken stock
  • 1 T turmeric
  • 2 limes
  • Parsley for garnish

Preparation

1. In a large pan over medium-high heat, add the oil and then sauté the onion and garlic for about 2 minutes.
  2. Add the chicken and let brown for about 2 minutes each side.
  3. Add the turmeric, oregano, black pepper and sauté for 1 minute.
  4. Add the corn, rice and let cook for 1 minute.
  5. Add the chicken stock and let cook until the rice is soft.
  6. Adjust salt.
  7. Lime and parsley for garnish.

Recipe Tags

This recipe is from my grandma who has been making it for over 70 years. You will see a few variations of this recipe like vegetables in it but I NEVER had it like that. Another thing you will not find in other recipes is my grandma NEVER used water to cook this dish only chicken stock.

As I said before regarding so many Brazilian savory dishes, be generous on garlic. It’s all about garlic in Brazilian cuisine. I sautéed the garlic and onion with a tablespoon of oil until golden in color and added the chicken thighs with the skin side down and let it cook on low temperature. Don’t move it. When the skin starts to stick on the bottom of the pot turn the thighs on the other side. Let cook for a couple of minutes and add the corn and the rice. Let cook for a couple more minutes and add the three cups of chicken stock and keep the temperature low. If you need more chicken stock to cook the dish, please feel free to add more. Now, something very important squeeze fresh lime juice on top. It gives the perfect citrus flavor that is amazing.!

bb88f3bc663305b7ff03d6239c77efe3efc7a572.jpg

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!