This pumpkin bar recipe has been in our family for years, and it is not just any pumpkin bar recipe, it is my Mom's famous recipe that I grew up on. I have the best memories of her making these bars multiple times through out the Fall season, and they are an important part of our Thanksgiving table.
Mom's Pumpkin Bar Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ⅔ cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs, brought to room temperature
- 2 cups canned pumpkin (non-spiced)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1- 3oz. package of cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 Tbsp. cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 13x18 sheet pan.
- Mix all of the bar ingredients together until well incorporated (the flour ingredients to the pumpkin pie spice ingredients).
- Pour the batter onto the greased sheet pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Set on a wire rack and let the bars cool completely.
- To make the frosting, mix the cream cheese and butter together. Combine with the cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar and mix well until incorporated.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled bars with an offset spatula.
- Cut the bars into rectangles and enjoy!
Since I have tried to like pumpkin pie for years, and am still not the biggest fan of of it (gasp!), I love to mirror the flavors in other dessert forms. This recipe includes the perfect mix of pumpkin pie spice and fresh canned pumpkin smothered in the most amazing cream cheese frosting, so you don't miss out on the best flavors of the season.
I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as ours does this holiday season!