These are a great and easily made holiday cookie which has been enjoyed for generations in my Italian family. I used to make these with my Mother Marguerite when I was a child, and now I share them with my son, daughter-in-law and two grandsons. My daughter-in-law also has added these to her holiday repertoire, and makes them with my grandsons. Hope you all enjoy them as much as we do.
Marguerite's Sugar Cookies
- Yield: Around 4 dozen
- Prep Time: 15 min
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1teaspoon. baking powder
- 1 tspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- sugar for sprinkling on top of the cookies
- marachino cherry halves for the tops of the cookies
- walnut halves for the tops of the cookies
- reserved juice from the marachino cherries (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly butter a cookie sheet and set it aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a small bowl and add them to the butter sugar mixture.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter, sugar, and egg mixture.
- Blend thoroughly and add the vanilla extract.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on your lightly buttered cookie sheet.
- Dip the bottom of a glass which has a diameter of around 2 inches into a plate of sugar, and then flatten each ball of cookie dough into a cookie the size of your glass.
- Repeat dipping into the sugar before flattening each cookie.
- Sprinkle a little additional sugar on top of each cookie.
- Place ½ of a marachino cherry or a walnut half on top of each cookie.
- You may drizzles a little of the reserved juice from the marachino cherries on some of the cookies if you wish.
- Place in your preheated 350 degree Fanrenheit oven for about 15 minutes. Check on them at 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when they are still quite light in color. The bottoms of the cookies should be a very light golden brown, and the tops should remain white.