These scones are filled with fresh strawberries and zesty lemon to make the perfect spring breakfast. Cream cheese is cut into the batter with butter and lends to the delicate texture of the scone. Lemon Cream Cheese Scones with Strawberries would be a great way to start Mother’s day or to serve for afternoon tea.
Lemon Cream Cheese Scones with Strawberries
- 2 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, from 1 lemon
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries, can also use frozen but do not thaw
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 ounces cold cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 tbsp heave cream or milk
- Position the oven rack in the center of the oven and heat to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest together. Cut the butter and cream cheese into the flour using a pastry blender, 2 knives, or your fingertips. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Gently fold in the strawberries. Whisk the vanilla and buttermilk together and stir just until the dough comes together. You may not need all the buttermilk. Add a little at a time until the mixture is moist but not too wet. Do not over mix the dough or the scones will be tough.
See the full recipe on Baked by an Introvert.