This is a great family favorite because we are able to eat the pie for dinner and have the leftover pie in a french toast casserole for brunch the next day.
Leftover Pie French Toast Casserole
- Servings: 1 slice
- Yield: 8
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 50 min
- 1 leftover pie, crumbled (you can use a combination of pie slices to equal 1 whole pie)
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup apple pie butter
- 3 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Fresh fruit, for garnishing
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a non-stick cooking spray, lightly spray a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Add the crumbled pie pieces to the bottom of the dish.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and spices. Pour over the crumbled pie.
- In a small size bowl, combine the apple butter and pecans. Dollop the butter over the egg mixture.
- Bake for 50 minutes, remove and drizzle with the maple syrup.
- Add fresh fruit for garnish, cut into slices and serve.
We love to use all of our leftovers in fun and unusual ways. This is one of my family's favorite casseroles. Our family always has leftover pieces of pie. Instead of just one person getting the last piece of pie, we combine all of the leftover pieces together and everyone benefits. Check out my blog post on this recipe.http://triplebburgers.blogspot.com/2015/11/happy-national-french-toast-day.html
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!