Growing up in an Italian household allowed me the privilege of learning how to cook and create delicious meals that were passed down from my ancestors. Sundays were always dedicated to a huge italian family dinner where homemade sauce was always the highlight. The sauce, always made with meatballs, pork and sausage, would slow cook all day making the house smell like an authentic restaurant in Italy. The type of pasta served with our Sunday's sauce was always dependent on my mother's hankering that day. We loved any type of pasta she made, but when it was lasagna we'd jump with excitement. When lasagna was served it always felt like it was a special occasion. Lasagna was and still is one of my favorite italian dishes to eat. Luckily my husband and three sons feel the same way as I do. I may not cook homemade sauce every Sunday like my mom or grandmother did, but I certainly do if I have the time. Our traditional meat and cheese lasagna is a beloved favorite but every now and then I enjoy being creative and adding different ingredients that are in season. My Kale, Mushroom and Sausage Lasagna is a spin off from our traditional recipe. My family loves it and I hope your family does too!
Kale, Mushroom and Sausage Lasagna
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cooking Time: 50 min
- 1 pound dried lasagna noodles
- 1 - 1 ½ pounds ground italian sausage
- 4 cups chopped kale (preferably dinosaur kale), stems removed
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- ½ medium onion diced
- 4 cups of homemade tomato sauce or your favorite tomato sauce
- 1 16 ounce container of ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley, dried is fine too
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (reserve ½ cup for topping)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- salt n pepper to taste
- olive oil
- In a saute pan cook sausage and onion for 5 minutes, add mushrooms and cook until sausage in browned and cooked through, set aside
- In a separate sauté pan add a little olive oil and add garlic and kale. Cook for 8 minutes or until kale is wilted, set aside
- In a large bowl mix ricotta, egg, parm cheese, parsley, 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella, salt n pepper
- In a large pot bring water to a boil and dip lasagna noodles in water for 1 minute until each noodle has been soaked in water
- Using a 9 x 13 casserole pan, drizzle a little olive oil on bottom and ½ cup tomato sauce and spread evenly. This will prevent lasagna from sticking to bottom.
- Add 4 noodles to bottom of casserole pan to begin layering
- Add half mixture of cheese mixture, add ½ kale mixture, ½ saussge and mushroom mixture, add ½ tomato sauce
- Start second layer by adding 4 noodles, cheese, kale, sausage, mushrooms and sauce
- Repeat last layer of noodles and add tomato sauce to generously cover noodles
- Put foul over the top of pan making sure to tent it so it doesn't stick to top noodles.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes
- Take off foil and add remainder of mozzarella cheese and bake for 5-10 minutes until cheese melts.
- Let sit 10 minutes before serving to sllow lasagna to set
- Ladle tomato sauce over individual serving and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese
My three sons and husband enjoying our family recipe:
Kale, Mushroom and Sausage Lasagna!