I have had so many friends tell me that this as the best apple pie ever! I would like to share the recipe with my Today Show family! It is a refrigerated pie that is baked, but the apples are still a bit crisp. I blind bake the crust which makes it crisp and flaky. Many friends think the crust is homemade. (I only wish I could make a homemade pie crust that was flaky like my 88 year old mom can!) I planted Jonathan apple trees in our front yard right in the middle of the suburbs so I could have fresh apples in fall. One year we had such a bumper crop, I baked 50 apple pies for friends and family. I would LOVE to make this delicious apple pie for all the hosts on the Today Show.
Joyce's Sour Cream Apple Pie
- 8 large tart apples (Jonathan, Braeburn, Pink Lady or Granny Smith)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 beaten egg
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pie crust, Pillsbury refrigerated
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat over to 375 degrees Farenheit.
- Line bottom of oven with aluminum foil to catch any drips.
- Take pie crust from refrigerator and bring to room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Roll out pie crust on large silpat or floured pastry cloth.
- Make single pie crust in 9-inch pie plate.
- Cover pie crust with aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray on underneath side.
- Place pie wieghts on top of foil.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until pie crust is mostly baked on bottom, but has not yet cracked.
- For filling: Combine sour cream, sugar, egg, flour, vanilla, and salt in large bowl, mixing well.
- Peel, cut, and thinly slice apples.
- I use the Pampered Chef apple peeler/corer/slicer because the apples are sliced thin.
- Add apples to sour cream mixture and stir to coat apples.
- Spoon mixture in pie crust forming a mound in the middle.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- While the pie is baking, combine all topping ingredients with pastry blender.
- After pie has come out of oven, spoon topping and spread evenly over hot pie.
- Return to oven and bake 15 more minutes.
- Cool at room temperature and then refirgerate 4 to 6 hours before serving.
- I serve the pie cold, but others have heated a slice in the microwave and served with ice cream.