This Jambalaya for a Crowd recipe is sure to be a winner in your kitchen. Your family and guests will enjoy an authentic taste of Louisiana with each rice/meat/flavor-filled bite. One pot brimming with appetite satisfaction for all and culinary kudos for the cook!
Jambalaya for a Crowd
- Yield: 12
- Prep Time: 1 hr
- Cooking Time: 1 hr 15 min
- 2 lbs pork-seasoned liberally with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning and garlic powder
- 2 lbs pork sausage--brown it then cut into bite size pieces
- 2 lbs smoked pork sausage--cut into pieces then brown it
- 2 lbs chicken breasts--brown then cut into bite size pieces
- 16 ounce bag seasoning blend
- 7 ounce bag pepper and onion blend
- 2 cans mushroom steak sauce
- 2 cans sliced mushrooms
- 1 envelope dry onion dip mix
- 2 handfuls chopped green onions
- Tabasco Garlic Pepper Sauce to taste
- Kitchen Bouquet for color
- 7 cups uncooked medium grain rice
- 13 cups water
- 1 large onion--cut into rings
- Season, cut, and brown all meats in a small amount of vegetable oil (medium to high heat) in a large oven safe aluminum pot.
- In same pot, add seasoning blend and pepper/onion blend until wilted. Stir to keep from sticking. Add a bit of water if needed.
- Add 1 cup of water..Stir well to make small amount of gravy.
- Add mushrooms and mushroom steak sauce, stirring continually.
- Add dry onion dip mix and one handful of chopped green onions.
- Add Kitchen Bouquet to desired color.
- Add Tabasco Garlic Pepper Sauce to taste.
- Cook on low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, making sure that there is enough liquid to prevent sticking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add 13 cups water. Check seasoning. Note--Oversalt a bit.
- Allow liquid to boil. Add uncooked rice and bring back to boil. Stir continually to prevent sticking.
- When liquid boils, stir from bottom for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Quickly add one handful of chopped green onions and lay onion rings on top of mixture.
- Cover and place in heated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Serve and enjoy.
2. Brown all the meat.
3. Add in your onions and peppers.
4. Add the water and stir.
5. Pour in uncooked rice.
6. Finished product
Photo of original recipe