The easiest and most flavorful weeknight dinner ever, this Italian Sausage Soup with White Beans and Spinach is on the table in less than 30 minutes using a few pantry staples. Healthy and hearty, this one is on regular rotation at my house.
Italian Sausage Soup with White Beans and Spinach
- Servings: 8 cups
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cooking Time: 15 min
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup small cut pasta, like shells or ditallini
- 2 cups baby spinach
- grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Place a large pot or dutch oven over med-high heat and add the sausage, breaking it up in to small pieces with a fork as it browns. Continue cooking until the sausage is no longer pink. Transfer the sausage to a bowl with a slotted spoon and discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat.
- Return the pot to the stove and add the onions. Cook the onions until translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, cooking for one minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning and ¼ cup of chicken stock to deglaze the pan being sure to scrape up any brown bits with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, sausage and remaining stock. Add the pasta and bring the soup to a boil. Cook for 6-7 minute or until the pasta is al dente.
- Stir in the spinach. Serve immediately topped with parmesan cheese.