This is my Mother-In-Law's recipe, that has been passed down from her grandma. I have tweaked it a bit, to add more flavor, but it's all there! This dish is a sure crowd pleaser, and family favorite!
Italian Sausage and Spaghetti
- 2 lbs Italian mild sausage links
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small sliced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 6 oz tomato paste
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles
- Cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions, set aside.
- Place a heavy bottom pan, or a porcelain coated cast iron pot, on medium-high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to pot, along with sliced onion, and garlic.
- Cook until onion has softened, and browned a bit, about 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut Italian sausages into ½ inch, bite-sized pieces, and place into pot with onions and garlic
- Cook until sausage has browned, stirring frequently, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, and combine with sausage. Let tomato paste cook with sausage for a few minutes, then add can of crushed tomatoes.
- Add salt, basil, oregano, wine, and Parmesan cheese.
- Stir well to combine, and set heat to simmer.
- Let simmer for about 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese.
- Garnish with fresh basil, and Serve with garlic bread.