A from-scratch recipe for the perfect homemade apple pie with a butter crust.
Homemade Apple Pie
- 2 cups flour
- 16 Tbs butter
- ¼ cup water
- 9 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- Place butter, flour and salt into a food processor and pulse until butter is mixed with the flour into a small gravely consistency, then add in water gradually until completely mixed in and dough is soft, not tacky.
- Roll dough into a ball and then flatten into a thick disk. Cover in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill at least 1 hour, up to over night.
- After your dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Place apples, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a large sauté pan and cook until apples are soft, adding cornstarch at the end to thicken the sauce that forms. Let the sauce cool 10 minutes before the next step.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface into a large round sheet, large enough to cover your 9’’ pie plate past the rim. Roll out the second dough into a large round and cut into strips for a lattice top.
- Place the rolled dough over the pie plate, pressing it down into the plate and rolling over the edges.
- Pour apple filling into the crust then create a lattice pattern on top with the strips of dough, pinching along the edges to seal.
- Brush the lattice top with a beaten egg and bake at 375F for 15 minutes, rotate and bake another 15, continuing to rotate and bake at 3 minute intervals until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Allow at least 30 minutes to cool before serving.
Join me at home as I show you step by step how to make this pie, along with a few super helpful tips to keep in mind to make this picture perfect!
Get the printable, pinnable version of this recipe here: http://joaniesimon.com/homemade-apple-pie/