As a mama of two active boys, I aim to provide healthy, nutrient-dense, and flavorful food that fuels them for their busy days. This taste bud favorite comfort food fills my family's bellies, plus provides a delicious and rich flavor, plus great on the nutrition!
Healthy Turkey & Sneaky Veggie Lasagna
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cooking Time: 1 hr
- 1 tray of organic ground lean turkey
- 1 package of brown rice no boil lasagna noodles (you can find these at Sprout or other local health food stores like Mother’s or Whole Foods) - Regular lasagna noodles would work great too.
- 3 small zucchini
- 1 (28oz) can of organic tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups organic low fat cottage cheese
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Serving Suggestion: Add a handful of spinach to ground meat.
- 1 Tbs olive oil for cooking
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set your 8x8 glass Pyrex aside.
- First, hand shred zucchini using a grater.
- In a skillet, drizzle 1 Tbs of olive oil, then add ground turkey
- Cook for a few minutes, then add shredded zucchini, tomato sauce, and seasoning to the pan
- Cook for another 4-6 minutes until meat is cooked through and sauce is bubbly
- Keep stirring meat mixture. At the last minute, turn heat off and stir in spinach until it is wilted.
- In a small bowl, mix cottage cheese and parmesan cheese together
- In your 8x8 Pyrex casserole dish, put a couple Tbs of tomato sauce in the bottom.
- Then, lay your no boil lasagna noodles in the Pyrex.
- Next, put a thick layer of meat/veggie mixture over the noodles.
- Then, layer the cottage cheese/parmesan mixture over top of the meat (reserve about ¼ of cottage cheese/parmesan mixture for top layer).
- Next, put another layer of noodles, meat mixture, then the rest of cottage cheese, followed by ½ cup of mozzarella cheese.
- It will be filled to the brim. If you have left over meat sauce mixture, you can always save it for a lunch the next day.
- Tent foil over lasagna, leaving a little room for the cheese.
- If desired, put a piece of tin foil on the bottom of oven to catch drips. (Mine did not bubble over)
- Bake at 350 for one hour, or until bubbly on the edges and cheese is melted on top
- Take off foil and cook for 5 more minutes to tan cheese on top.
- Let lasagna sit for 5-10 minutes prior to serving, or the lasagna will fall apart when cutting.