You won’t miss the extra fat and calories in this hearty and flavorful Healthy Slow Cooker Turkey Chili! Full of lean ground turkey, fire roasted tomatoes, kidney beans and more, it sure to become a family comfort food favorite!
Healthy Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¾ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 15 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Shredded cheese, green onions, cilantro and plain Greek yogurt or sour cream for topping the chili
- Preheat a large sautè pan with the tablespoon of oil over medium high heat.
- When the pan is hot add in the diced onion and stir until it starts to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the ground turkey, minced garlic, all the spices, salt and hot sauce.
- Break up the turkey into small crumbles with a wooden spoon and stir everything together so that it's coated in the spices.
- Once the turkey is almost cooked through pour the mixture into your slow cooker and add in the remaining ingredients.
- Stir everything together then cover with the lid and set on low for 5-7 hours depending on how fast or slow your slow cooker cooks.
- Serve the chili topped with shredded cheese, green onions, cilantro and plain Greek yogurt or sour cream if desired.