Healthy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting – does that sound like an oxymoron? Healthy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting that is low-sugar, all-natural, with vegan and dairy-free options. Made with only 5 basic ingredients. My mother would make this frosting growing up, and it’s easily seen as a family recipe you must master. There was no need to twist our arms when teaching my sister and me how to make it. What 10 year old doesn’t want to learn how to make frosting? Having the option to make frosting at any time? Uhhh yeah, count me in on that. This family frosting recipe has been around for many, many years. I felt a little guilty at first attempting to skinny-fy the recipe, but as soon as I ate a big spoonful of it the guilt quickly went away. Spreading this heavenly frosting on top of a soft, puffy cinnamon oatmeal bar reminded me of Saturday mornings when I was growing up.
Healthy Lower-Sugar Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Yield: 2.5 cups
- 3 Tablespoons grass-fed butter, softened (Use Earth Balance 'butter' if vegan)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons milk or almond milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4-5 Tablespoons potato starch
- Add softened butter in medium bowl. Beat butter with mixer until creamy (30-45 seconds), add vanilla extract, milk, continue beating with mixer, slowly add powdered sugar ½ cup at a time incorporating into butter mixture. Beat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Frosting will still be a little runny, begin adding potato starch 2 Tablespoons as a time, combine into frosting, add remaining potato starch.
- *If frosting is still a little runny then what you would desire, add an additional Tablespoon. Frosting will continue to thicken over a course of an hour.