Do you like deep fried asparagus? What about ham and cheese asparagus rollups? Well then, you're going to LOVE my Ham & Cheese Asparagus Fries. These babies combine the best of both! I oven bake these so they are a little healthier, but you could deep fry them if you want. If you want to see me make them on air, tune into WISH-TV - IndyStyle on Thursday 6.16.16 at 9am - they will livestream the segment on Facebook. These are great to make for Father's Day this weekend.
Ham & Cheese Asparagus Fries
- Servings: 12 spears
- Yield: 1 serving
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 20 min
- 12 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 ounces cream cheese (I use garden vegetable or jalapeño)
- 12 slices deli ham, thinly sliced
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dill weed
- 1 ½ cups Italian seasoning panko breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 1-2 minutes, then put in ice bath to stop cooking process. (Or you can microwave spears on high for 2 minutes).
- Add a thin layer of cream cheese to each ham slice. Place an asparagus spear at one end of ham and roll up. Do this for the remaining spears and ham, then refrigerate until ready to dredge.
- For dredging station, set up 3 dishes. In first dish, mix together flour and salt. In second dish, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic and dill. In third dish, add panko.
- Dip each ham and cheese asparagus spear in the flour, followed by the egg wash and then the panic.
- Add spears to a baking sheet and bake for 17-20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Sprinkle on remaining salt and serve warm.
Start with some fresh asparagus spears ~
Add cream cheese to ham, then add blanched asparagus spears and roll up. You can eat them like this, or continue on and bread them for asparagus fries.
Dredge them and then bake or fry them. They are crunchy, cheesy and delicious!
This is what they look like if you choose to deep fry them. I use avocado oil for frying.