The combination of moist lemon cake with sweet lavender frosting is almost too good to be true! But I promise, it's true...and the perfect dessert for your next party!
Gluten Free Lemon Cake with Lavender Frosting
- 2 ½ cups Cup4Cup flour
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 1.5 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs and 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 5 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp. culinary lavender
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Heavily grease 3, 6-inch circular cake pans, making sure to get the sides really well.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, mix 1 cup butter and sugar until well blended.
- Beat in eggs, yolks and lemon juice.
- Slowly combine dry mixture with wet mixture, adding in the buttermilk as you go.
- When everything is well blended, pour mixture evenly into cake pans.
- Tap each cake pan onto your countertop to release all air bubbles.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- While cakes are cooling, mix together shortening, ½ cup butter, confectioner's sugar and culinary lavender.
- When the cakes are completely cooled, remove from the pans and use a cake level to even off the tops. If you do not own a cake level a serrated knife will work.
- Place one cake on a cake stand and top with ⅓ of your icing.
- Repeat this process until all of your icing and cakes have been used.
- Garnish with fresh flowers or your favorite sprinkles and enjoy!