Turn a regular week night meal time into an exciting, authentic Cuban dish with just a pound of ground beef and a few ingredients you probably have on hand. This flavorful dish appeals to most people because of it's perfectly balanced blend of salty, sweet, and spicy tastes.
Family Style Cuban Picadillo
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 15 min
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ Cup Spanish onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- ½ Cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ Cup golden raisins
- ½ Cup green olives, sliced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- 3 Cups cooked white rice
- Place the ground beef and the onions into a skillet set over medium high heat. Brown until the meat is nearly fully cooked. Add the garlic and yellow pepper and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan to deglaze it.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, salt, cayenne, and sugar. Simmer for five minutes to marry the flavors.
- Add the raisins and the green olives.
- Coarsely chop ½ Cup of the cilantro and stir into the picadillo.
- Place ¾ Cup of rice into each of four small bowls. Spoon the picadillo into the bowls next to the rice and garnish with the remaining fresh cilantro leaves.
I think this dish should win because not only is is delicious and satisfying, it's easy to make, and the sweet and salty notes appeal to a variety of tastes.