Homemade marshmallows are easier to make than you think. Soft, sweet, pillowy Vanilla Bean Marshmallows are like no other marshmallow you have eaten. Fun and simple to whip up, you’ll never buy them from a store again.
Easy Vanilla Bean Marshmallows
- Servings: 1 marshmallow
- Yield: 36 marshmallows
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 10 min
- 3 packages unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- Nonstick cooking spray
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the gelatin with ½ cup of the cold water.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining ½ cup water, the granulated sugar, corn syrup and salt. Place over medium high heat, cover and allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover, clip a candy thermometer onto the side of the pan and continue to cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees F, approximately 7 to 8 minutes. When the mixture reaches this temperature, immediately remove from the heat.
- Turn the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment to low speed and, while running, slowly pour the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture. Increase the speed to high and continue to whip until the mixture becomes very thick, approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Add the vanilla during the last minute of whipping.
- While the mixture is whipping, whisk the confectioners' sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Coat a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add the sugar and cornstarch mixture and completely coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Return the remaining mixture to the bowl and set aside.
- Pour the marshmallow into the prepared pan and use a lightly oiled spatula for spreading evenly in the pan. Dust the top with just enough of the remaining sugar and cornstarch mixture to lightly cover. Reserve the rest. Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Turn the marshmallows out onto a cutting board and cut into 1-inch squares using a pizza cutter or knife dusted with the sugar mixture. After cutting, lightly dust all the sides of each marshmallow with the remaining mixture. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks at room temperature.