These double chocolate mocha muffins are SO delicious. You will not believe that they are lightened up. They are husband and kid approved!
I would consider these somewhat of a treat food, since they are party naughty (<-sugar!), part nice (<- 100% whole wheat, Greek yogurt, coconut oil). But I love tweaking things a little to give yummy food a healthier twist. It is kind of my specialty!
I am calling these "double chocolate" because there is (1) cocoa powder in the batter and (2) chocolate chips. And "mocha" because I put powdered instant coffee in these puppies.
I normally wouldn’t touch instant coffee with a ten-foot pole. I am a little bit of a coffee snob, and only The Real Deal will do.
But for baking, instant coffee powder is pretty genius. Why? You can infuse coffee flavor without messing up the all-important texture. If you try to bake things with liquid coffee, it is tough to get the right texture (too many wet ingredients) with enough coffee flavor.
This is also the second recipe in a row that I have made with Organic Whole Wheat Pastry flour, my new favorite healthy baking ingredient. (See also: Clean-Ingredient Blueberry Oat Muffins Recipe.). Like I mentioned before, I LOVE the light and fluffy texture of this flour.
- 1⅓ cups whole wheat pastry flour (160 grams)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ⅔ cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, mix the eggs, sugar, instant coffee powder, yogurt, coconut oil, milk and vanilla on low until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients, and mix until incorporated, about another minute on low.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into a standard 12-cup muffin tin, about half full in each cup.
- Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 23 minutes
*Nutritional information was calculated using a recipe nutrition label generator.