This recipe was inspired by Darryl Smith's travels to the Cape Verde Islands off the west coast of Africa where they served wonderful lemon mojitos. My spin on this recipe infuses the drink with a ginger simple syrup and uses coconut rum for a unique blend. This recipe also won a mojito making contest at a corporate event in Melbourne, Australia.
Darryl's Sal Island Mojito
- Servings: 8 oz
- Yield: 2 servings
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 5 min
- 8 oz ginger infused simple syrup (equal parts water, granulated sugar and 1 oz peeled and diced ginger, steeped over low hea for 10 minutes)
- 1 lemon and 1 lime, quartered
- 4 oz coconut rum
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves
- 4 oz club soda
- Crushed ice
- Add the quartered lemon and limes, the mint leaves and some crushed ice to a 20 oz cocktail shaker and muddle to release the juices and crush the mint into the mixture.
- Add the coconut rum, ginger infused simple syrup and club soda then top the container and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Fill drink glasses about ⅓ the way with more crushed ice and pour the drinks, making sure to get pieces of the lemon and limes into each glass.
- Garnish the drink with more fresh mint leaves and enjoy!