Be warned! One dunk of these crispy, crunchy tortellini bites into creamy tomato sauce and you won’t be able to stop!
Crispy Tortellini Bites with Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cooking Time: 30 min
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 - 28 oz can tomato puree
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp parsley, minced
- 1½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 lb fresh tortellini, cooked according to package instructions
- 2 eggs, beaten with 2 Tbsp water
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Salt and pepper
- *Grated parmesan cheese, minced parsley and lemon wedges
- Creamy Tomato Sauce: Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute for 2 mins. Add the garlic and saute until until garlic and onions are soft and just golden.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Add the tomato puree, heavy cream, parmesan, Italian seasoning, parsley, sugar, chili flakes and salt.
- Stir well and simmer over low heat, uncovered for 30 mins.
- Tortellini Bites: While the sauce cooks, get ready to fry the tortellini.
- Whisk the eggs with water in a bowl, set aside. Mix the panko bread crumbs with the parmesan, lemon zest and garlic salt.
- Take a handful of the tortellini and toss it in the beaten eggs. Use a slotted spoon to remove and toss them into the breadcrumbs until well coated. Place the breaded tortellini on a plate and repeat with the remaining tortellini.
- Place a large nonstick frying pan over high heat and add enough oil to cover the bottom. Heat until hot, but not smoking.
- Add tortellini in a single layer but don't crowd the pan. Fry until golden brown, flip and fry the other side until golden brown, about 3 mins total. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with remaining tortellini.
- Sprinkle the tortellini bites with parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper and serve with tomato sauce and lemon wedges.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!