Be warned! One dunk of these crispy, crunchy tortellini bites into creamy tomato sauce and you won’t be able to stop!
Crispy Tortellini Bites with Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cooking Time: 30 min
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 - 28 oz can tomato puree
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp parsley, minced
- 1½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 lb fresh tortellini, cooked according to package instructions
- 2 eggs, beaten with 2 Tbsp water
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Salt and pepper
- *Grated parmesan cheese, minced parsley and lemon wedges
- Creamy Tomato Sauce: Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute for 2 mins. Add the garlic and saute until until garlic and onions are soft and just golden.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Add the tomato puree, heavy cream, parmesan, Italian seasoning, parsley, sugar, chili flakes and salt.
- Stir well and simmer over low heat, uncovered for 30 mins.
- Tortellini Bites: While the sauce cooks, get ready to fry the tortellini.
- Whisk the eggs with water in a bowl, set aside. Mix the panko bread crumbs with the parmesan, lemon zest and garlic salt.
- Take a handful of the tortellini and toss it in the beaten eggs. Use a slotted spoon to remove and toss them into the breadcrumbs until well coated. Place the breaded tortellini on a plate and repeat with the remaining tortellini.
- Place a large nonstick frying pan over high heat and add enough oil to cover the bottom. Heat until hot, but not smoking.
- Add tortellini in a single layer but don't crowd the pan. Fry until golden brown, flip and fry the other side until golden brown, about 3 mins total. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with remaining tortellini.
- Sprinkle the tortellini bites with parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper and serve with tomato sauce and lemon wedges.