Make this rich, creamy soup in the crockpot with chicken, fresh spinach, and mushrooms. Top with Parmesan croutons for extra flavor.
Creamy Chicken Florentine Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto sauce
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- Add chicken breasts, broth, chopped onion, pesto, salt, and Italian seasoning to slow cooker. Cook on low for six hours or on high for three hours.
- Remove chicken and shred using two forks. Return chicken and sliced mushrooms to the crock pot.
- Prepare a roux by melting butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook just until it becomes a light golden brown. Add milk and stir until thick and creamy. Stir in the wine until smooth.
- Add the mixture to the slow cooker temperature and reduce the temperature to low. Add spinach and stir. Cook soup another 15 minutes, or until spinach is melted and heated through.