Crawfish Tostadas w/ Cayenne Avocado Cream — Ça c’est delicioso
Crawfish Tostadas w/ Cayenne Avocado Cream
- Yield: 8
- Prep Time: 15 hr
- Cooking Time: 5 hr
- 16 oz – Crawfish tails, cleaned*
- 3 TB – Butter
- 2 – Garlic cloves, minced
- 15 oz can – Red beans (or kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 TB – Louisiana hot sauce
- ¼ cup – Mexican salsa
- 1 – Large avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 cup – Sour cream
- ¼ cup – Fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 tsp – Cajun seasoning**
- 1 tsp – Ground cayenne pepper
- 1 TB – Lemon juice
- 4 cups – Shredded lettuce
- 8 – Tostada shells
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter; add crawfish and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes; cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, process avocado, sour cream, cilantro, Cajun seasoning, cayenne and lemon juice in a blender until smooth.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine beans, hot sauce and salsa; mash with a fork; cover and microwave on high for about 1½ minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time.
- Warm tostada shells in a 350°F toaster oven, if desired. (Some people prefer their shells cold.)
- Atop each shell, spread 2-3 TB of the smashed beans; add a ¼ cup of lettuce, a dollop of avocado cream and about ¼ cup of crawfish tails.
- Garnish with more cilantro.
*- Crawfish tails almost always come pre-cooked (they’ll look pink, like shrimp). Otherwise, increase cooking time slightly to allow crawfish to cook through. Langostino and/or medium shrimp may be substituted for the crawfish.
** - Creole seasoning or Old Bay may be substituted.