A different kind of french toast made with Irish spotted dog bread (soda bread), topped with a homemade cranberry orange syrup and Irish whiskey butter.
Cranberry Irish French Toast with Whiskey Butter
- Servings: 3 slices of french toast
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 20 min
- FOR THE CRANBERRY ORANGE SYRUP:
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- FOR THE WHISKEY BUTTER:
- ¼ cup (4 Tb) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 Tb powdered sugar
- 2 Tb Irish whiskey
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- FOR THE IRISH FRENCH TOAST:
- 1 loaf Spotted Dog or Soda Bread, cut into ½ inch slices
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk or half & half
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2-3 Tb unsalted butter
- extra powdered sugar to sprinkle over top
- FOR THE CRANBERRY ORANGE SYRUP: Put cranberries, orange juice, and sugar in small saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and gently cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally and mashing cranberries with back of spoon. Strain mixture into a small bowl with a wire mesh strainer, pushing the mixture with the back of the spoon. Set aside.
- FOR THE WHISKEY BUTTER: Whip the butter and powdered sugar together in small bowl until fluffy. Add the vanilla and whiskey and continue to whip until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- FOR THE IRISH FRENCH TOAST: Heat oven to 200 degrees. In a shallow pie plate or casserole, beat the eggs. Add the half & half, vanilla, and cinnamon and mix well.
- Put 1 Tb butter in a large skillet over medium heat. While butter is melting, place a slice of bread in the egg mixture and let soak on each side for 30 seconds. Place soaked bread slices in melted butter and fry on each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Put cooked slices on baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm. Continue process with remaining slices of bread.
- Place 3 slices of bread on each place, pour desired amount of the Cranberry Orange Syrup over the bread, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and place a tablespoon of whiskey butter on top.