If you've never met a carb you didn't like, this breakfast is for you. Thick slices of coco-nutty French toast are be-drizzled in a maple cream cheese topping and adorned with raspberries and crunchy pecans. You're welcome.
Coconut Creme Brule French Toast with Maple Cream Cheese Drizzle (Vegan)
- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cooking Time: 20 min
- 1.5 lb. of high quality vegan brand (Challah, Italian, French Baguette) about 1.5 pounds, stale bread works best
- 7 T. Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg Product
- 1 ¾ c. ice cold water
- 2 ¼ c. cashew milk
- ½ c. full fat coconut milk
- 3 T. pure maple syrup
- 1 T. ground flax meal
- 2 t. pure vanilla extract
- 2 t. coconut extract
- ¾ t. grated fresh nutmeg
- ¼ t. kosher salt
- 1 c. organic dark brown sugar, preferred brand, Wholesome
- ½ c. vegan butter (preferred brand, Miyoko’s Creamery)
- 1 8-oz. container vegan cream cheese, recommended brand Go Veggie!
- 5 T. full fat unsweetened coconut milk, recommended brand Thai (shake can well before pouring)
- ½ c. pure maple syrup
- 1 t. pure vanilla extract (alcohol-free), recommended brand Singing Dog
- Fresh raspberries (garnish)
- Dried, unsweetened coconut flakes (garnish)
- Organic powdered sugar (garnish)
- Chopped raw pecans (garnish)
- Fresh mint leaves (garnish)
- Begin by making maple cream cheese drizzle. Mix vegan cream cheese, 5 T. full fat unsweetened coconut milk, ½ c. pure maple syrup, 1 t. pure vanilla extract (alcohol-free), until thoroughly blended .
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut bread in thick slices about ½ inch each
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk vegan egg product, cashew milk, coconut milk, maple syrup, flax meal, vanilla, and coconut extracts, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large shallow dish lay the bread flat in one single layer. Pour the vegan egg mixture over the top to saturate bread. Keep covered in fridge for four hours or overnight. After a few hours turn bread over so both sides can soak in the mixture.
- Mix vegan butter and dark brown organic sugar with a wish until fully incorporated. It will be similar in consistency to a spreadable butter. Cover a rimmed baking sheet or shallow baking pan (about 11 x 17) lined with foil. Spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the dish on the foil.
- Place the bread in a single layer on top of the sugar mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until the sugar mixture starts to bubble.
- Remove from oven and plate immediately.
- Top generously with garnishes, including fresh raspberries, coconut flakes, pecans and powdered sugar.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!