A decadent chocolate cupcake with Coca Cola frosting, Ritz crust, and a Wheat Thin crumble.
Coca Cola Cupcakes with Ritz Crust
- Servings: 1 cupcake
- Yield: 15 cupcakes
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cooking Time: 50 min
- 2 cups Coca Cola
- 1 cup carob or cocoa powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups crushed Ritz crackers
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ sticks unsalted butter
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup Coca Cola
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup crushed Wheat Thin crackers
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. If you have it, prep another small cake pan for extra batter.
- Make the cupcakes. In a large bowl, melt the 2 cups of Coca-Cola, carob or cocoa powder, and 1 stick butter in the microwave in 30 second increments until fully melted. Whisk in 1 ¼ cup granulated and ½ cup brown sugar and allow to cool briefly before whisking in the eggs, followed by the 2 cups of flour, baking soda, and salt. There will still be some lumps in the batter – this is okay.
- Make the crust. In a small bowl, stir together the RITZ, melted butter, and ¼ cup sugar. Press about a tablespoon of the crust mixture into the bottom of each cupcake liner. Press the remaining mixture into the small cake pan.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners, filling just about to the top. Pour the remaining batter into the cake pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes and cake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely in pan.
- Make the crumble. In a small bowl, stir together1/2 cup flour, ¼ cup sugar, Wheat Thins, and oil until clumps form. Spread onto a parchment lined baking tray and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Make the frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter on medium speed using a hand or stand mixer. Slowly add 3 cups of the confectioners' sugar and mix in. add the ½ cup of Coca-Cola, followed by the rest of the sugar and beat until smooth, light, and fluffy.
- Assemble the cupcakes. Spread a heaping amount of frosting on each cupcake. Sprinkle with the crumble, pressing it into the frosting gently. Cupcakes may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, of frozen, wrapped in parchment and foil, and placed in a zipper bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature about 1 hour.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!