My version is made with day old bread, vegetables, apples and mushrooms! Easy to make ahead of time too!
Classic Stuffing Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 lb) bread, slightly stale
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 celery heart, diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 jars (4 ½ oz) sliced mushrooms, don't drain
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups diced apple (no need to peel)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine stale bread with egg, water, celery, onion, mushrooms, and seasonings. Combine well.
- Press into a 9-inch square baking dish (about 2-3 quart). Once you have all your stuffing in the dish, press it in firmly.
- Cover stuffing with foil. Bake for 60 minutes in a 350 degree F oven. You can make this a day ahead of time too! ENJOY.