Food that gets you in the mood...reinvented classic waffles with an aphrodisiac twist! It's as easy as folding chocolate chips into waffle batter for a sweet and delicious breakfast. The decadent chocolate waffles are topped with a rich and creamy cheesecake mousse, fresh mixed berries and a drizzle of strawberry sauce.
Chocolate Waffle with Cheesecake Mousse, Mixed Berries & Strawberry Sauce
- Servings: 2 Waffles
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cooking Time: 10 min
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3 cups buttermilk
- ¾ vegetable oil
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla (1 ½ tsp for the waffles, 1 tsp for the mousse)
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 cups strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups mixed berries
- For the waffles:
- Heat waffle iron.
- Whip egg whites to stiff peaks.
- In large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder & salt.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks, mix in buttermilk, oil & vanilla.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Cook waffles following waffle iron instructions.
- For the cheesecake mousse:
- In a mixer or using a hand beater, beat cream cheese till smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients & beat till fully combined & smooth.
- For the strawberry sauce:
- In a medium sauce pan, heat water & sugar, bring to a boil & stir until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat, stir in strawberries, allow to cool slightly.
- Blend until smooth in a blender or using a hand blender.
- To assemble all:
- Cut waffle into four pieces as soon as it comes out of the waffle iron.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of cheesecake mousse onto the waffle.
- Sprinkle mixed berries on top & drizzle with strawberry sauce.
I made this dish on Today Show for a Valentine's Day segment, but you can make it anytime you're looking to spice up your everyday breakfast! Not only is it delicious and comforting, some of the ingredients have aphrodisiac affects!
Chocolate as well as mixed berries increases your blood flow and elevates your energy and mood - something everyone appreciates and needs!