A twist on a family favorite that everyone will enjoy!
Chocolate Brownies with Caramel Sauce Drizzle
- 1 box Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1 box brownie mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ water
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons strong coffee or 2 teaspoons instant espresso
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Hershey's chocolate syrup, optional
- 1 bag (8 oz) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts , divided
- 1 cup brown sugar (for the caramel sauce)
- 1 cup boiling water (for the caramel sauce)
- 1 tablespoons butter (for the caramel sauce)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla (for the caramel sauce)
- ½ teaspoon salt (for the caramel sauce)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 X 13 shallow baking dish.
- Mix together package of dry Devil’s Food cake mix, brownie mix, eggs, water, oil, coffee, cocoa, chocolate syrup, chocolate chips and 1 cup of the walnuts until well blended. (Reserve ½ cup walnuts for topping.)
- Bake according to brownie mix package instructions. (Do not over bake brownies.)
- When cool, cut in squares.
- Place 3-4 squares in freezer.
- Make caramel sauce.
- In a skillet or small pot, combine sugar, boiling water, butter, vanilla and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar and cool until thickened. Do not burn bottom of pan.
- When brownies are hardened remove them from the freezer, cut into ½ inch cubes.
- Drizzle a small amount of caramel sauce over brownies.
- Place frozen brownie cubes and walnuts over top.
I wanted to share some tips for making perfect brownies. If you have a Pure Convection element in your oven, use it. It will give you the best even cooking. Also, it’s hard to tell when brownies are done. When the aroma of chocolate coming from the oven hits me, I know the brownies are just about done. Half way through the baking process, I open the oven and gently pat the top of the brownies. That deflates the air bubble on top and I can tell if the brownies are done. Works perfectly every time and the brownies are never over-baked!