Chicken salad gets a healthy makeover and stuffed in avocados for a balanced meal!
Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocados
- Yield: 1-2 servings
- Cooking Time: 25 min
- 1 large Hass avocado
- 1 4 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup O% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp stone-ground Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 2 TB dried, unsweetened cranberries
- 1 TB slivered almonds
- 1 TB fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the broiler.
- Prepare the chicken breast by seasoning with salt and pepper on both sides. Place the chicken on a foil lined baking sheet, and broiled on the first side for 7 minutes, flip and broil on the second side 5 minutes, adjusting depending on thickness. Alternatively, you can grill the chicken. Set aside to rest for at least 10 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, coarsely chop or shred with two forks. Your preference
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, mustard, salt, pepper, tarragon and parsley. Mix well and season to taste. Add to the shredded chicken along with the cranberries and almonds
- Slice the avocado in half and take out the pit. Divide the chicken salad mixture between the halves halves and serve.
It's resolution time. But…I still want real food. I want it to taste good and be all pretty with lots of color. I want it to be cooked relatively fast because I want to go out and play. So...
Chicken salad. Who loves chicken salad? I love chicken salad, and admittedly I never, ever make it. Why?Why I ask as I devoured this for lunch. I mean devour. Gone in 60 seconds (not really, but I’m sure some record was set).
The whole avocado bowl part comes to use from Chile, and thus called Palta Reina. Yup, still plugging through South America. Avocados are quite plentiful there, and as such, can be found in any number of dishes. Or, in this case, as the dish itself. While chicken salad seems to be the favorite as far as the filling, I’ve also seen recipes out there for tuna or shrimp salad as well. Get creative with it.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!