My grandma used to make this recipe using whatever she had at the time, in her pantry. It always came out fabulous! Over the years, I have made it my own, and these dumplings will steal the show!
Chicken and Dumplings
- 3 cups of cooked shredded chicken breast
- ¾ cup finly chopped onion
- 4-5 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups al purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons of butter, cut into cubes
- In a large stock pot, or dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, over medium heat, and add in onion, carrots, and celery, and cook until soft and translucent. about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the chicken stock, and cream of mushroom soup, thyme, and shredded chicken, and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- To prepare dumplings sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl
- Add in the butter, and use a pastry cutter or fork to mix together. Stir in the milk, and mix well until it forms a ball.
- On a floured surface, roll out ball of dough using a rolling pin, that has been dusted with flour
- Roll out dough until thin, and cut into squares, using a pizza cutter or knife.
- Carefully add the dumplings to the soup, while stirring slowly. The flour from the dumplings, will also thicken up the soup.
- Let the soup cook for another 20 minutes, and serve.
The first 9 ingredients is for the stew. Start of by sauteeing onions, carrots, and celery in butter.
The rest is for the dumplings.
This stew will warm you up, and bring everybody around the table! Just the way it did when Grandma made it:)