This is a simple yet delicious egg, cheese and sausage breakfast pie. It is sure to please because of the ease of preparation and fantastic depth of flavor.
Cheesy Chorizo Pie
- 9 ounces pork chorizo, removed from casing if present
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 ¼ cup taco blend shredded cheese
- ¼ cup mild thick and chunky salsa
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves plus more for garnish, if desired
- ¼ teaspoon each salt, garlic salt, onion salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, cumin and dried crushed oregano
- Crema Mexicana or sour cream, for garnish (if desired)
- Sliced green onions, for garnish (if desired)
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish (if desired)
- Salsa, for serving (if desired)
- In a skillet, cook chorizo, over medium heat until done but not dry. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs with a fork. Add melted butter, flour, baking powder and softened cream cheese. Beat with an electric mixer until mixture is thoroughly blended.
- Add remaining ingredients including cooked chorizo; stir until thoroughly combined. Pour into a well-greased 9.5-inch pie plate (or similar).
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake for another 20-25 minutes or until mixture is set. Remove from oven and let rest for 15-20 minutes; slice into wedges and garnish as desired. Enjoy!
I feel that this recipe should win not only because it is delicious and easy to prepare, but it can be made the night before and is easily converted to vegetarian by using soy chorizo.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!