Dream of warm weather and Easter bunnies with these light and fluffy Carrot Cake Pancakes drizzled in a maple-walnut syrup. It’s the perfect way to welcome the spring season!
Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Servings: 3 medium pancakes
- Yield: 3-4 servings
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 15 min
- 1 C flour
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- a generous pinch of nutmeg
- a generous pinch of ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ C buttermilk
- ½ C milk
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- ½ C finely grated carrots (3-4 medium carrots)
- ½ C maple syrup
- ¼ C finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- Grate 3-4 medium carrots to equal ½ C. Before measuring the shredded carrots in a cup, gently press them between your hands to release some, but not all the juices. Set aside.
- Evenly mix together all the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl; the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt.
- Add the buttermilk, milk, 1 beaten egg, and vanilla to the bowl and mix to combine, taking care not to over mix.
- Fold in the melted butter and the grated carrots.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with a little vegetable oil and a little butter. My favorite pan to use for pancakes is cast iron, which tends to require less oil.
- For small pancakes pour ⅛ C batter onto the pan for each pancake, for medium pancakes measure ¼ C. Allow each pancake to become bubbly on top and golden brown on the bottom before flipping. You should only have to flip once. Once cooked, make a stack of pancakes on each person's plate.
- In a small sauce pan, heat ½ C of maple syrup over low heat. Once warm, remove from the heat and mix in ¼ C of finely-chopped walnuts. The walnuts are optional.
- To serve, pour Maple Walnut Syrup over the pancakes and enjoy immediately.
Original recipe from the food blog Simple Seasonal: http://simpleseasonal.com/recipes/breakfasts/carrot-cake-pancakes
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!