Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Happiest Holidays

Caramelized Shallot - Mashed Potatoes

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

I’m not one to screw around with holiday classics. In fact, I’ve never been a fan of classic recipes with some out-of -this-world crazy twist on them. They’re called classics for a reason! Keep them that way! I did however add a subtle change to my classic mashed potato recipe, that really enhances the flavor. Caramelized shallots add so much more taste and savory goodness, it was worth changing my so called “classic” recipe. Try it… your guests won’t be disappointed.

Caramelized Shallot - Mashed Potatoes

Prep Time: 10 min Cooking Time: 35 min

Ingredients

• 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) butter, divided
  • 1 to 2 cups sliced shallots (depending on how many you like… I always use 2 cups)
  • ¾ cup whole milk
  • 2 pounds large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, quartered

Preparation

1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add sliced shallots and cook until tender and brown, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Transfer shallots to small bowl. Add milk to skillet. Set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, place quartered potatoes in large saucepan. Add enough cold water to pan to cover potatoes by 1 ½ inches. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain. Return potatoes to pan and stir over medium heat until dry, about 1 minute. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Bring milk in skillet to simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Add hot milk to potatoes. Mash potatoes. Stir in caramelized shallots and season to taste with salt and pepper.
  3. If you want… top with more butter. Why? Because butter rocks.

Recipe Tags

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!