If you have some time over this Fall to play in the kitchen, this cake will be one of those memorable masterpieces to tackle.
Caramel Cream Layered Banana Cake
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (for cake)
- 2 ½ cups sugar, divided (for cake)
- 6 large eggs (for cake)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk (for cake)
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (for cake)
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour (for cake)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (for cake)
- ½ teaspoon salt (for cake)
- 4 ½ teaspoons fresh lime juice, divided (for cake)
- 4 ½ teaspoons dark rum, divided (for cake)
- 1 ½ cups (packed) golden brown sugar (for banana cream)
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and mashed (for banana cream)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (for banana cream)
- 4 cups chilled heavy whipping cream, divided (for banana cream)
- 2 cups pecan halves (for pecans)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (for pecans)
- 1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt (for pecans)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Toss pecans and melted butter in medium bowl to coat.
- Add sea salt and toss.
- Spread pecans in single layer on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until fragrant and slightly darkened in color, about 15 minutes.
- Cool pecans on baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 ½-inch-high sides.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until well blended.
- Add eggs and beat until pale in color, about 3 minutes.
- Add buttermilk and blend well.
- Add flour, baking powder, sea salt and mix.
- Fold in bananas.
- Divide batter between prepared pans (about 3 ½ cups for each).
- Bake cakes for about 35 minutes or until toothpick comes up clean.
- Transfer to rack; cool 15 minutes.
- Invert cakes onto racks; cool completely.
- Prepare banana cream. (below)
- In a processor or mixer, combine brown sugar, banana, and butter, blending until smooth.
- Add 1 ½ cups whipping cream and blend.
- Transfer to heavy medium saucepan.
- Whisk over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture boils.
- Attach candy thermometer to inside of pan; cook without stirring or swirling pan until temperature registers 218°F, about 10 minutes.
- Pour caramel into bowl.
- Cool to room temperature, whisking occasionally.
- Whisk remaining 2 ¼ cups whipping cream in large bowl until cream mounds softly.
- Gradually fold in cooled caramel mixture.
- Chill until cream is firm enough to spread, about 3 hours.
- Cut each cake horizontally into 2 layers.
- Place 1 layer, cut side up, on platter.
- Drizzle or brush 1 ½ teaspoons lime juice and 1 ½ teaspoons rum over.
- Spread 1 ¼ cups banana cream over.
- Top with second cake layer.
- Repeat process with second and third layer.
- Top with fourth cake layer, cut side down; spread remaining cream over top.
- Arrange pecans over top of cake.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!