Slices of toasted Italian bread topped with a flavorful basil ricotta spread, creamy mozzarella, roasted tomatoes and a lovely balsamic vinaigrette.
- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 15 min
- 4-6 slices of French or Italian Bread
- 5 large Basil leaves, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toast bread 5 minutes or until golden.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chopped basil, ricotta, Romano, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix together the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
- Spread one-fourth of the ricotta mixture on each bread slice. Top with a slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the mozzarella.
- In a single layer, working in batches if necessary, bake toasts 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through and mozzarella is melted.
- Garnish with reserved basil
For this recipe, I’ve combined all the wonderful ingredients found in a classic Caprese Salad and incorporated them into little hand-held Caprese Toasts which were made in my oven. To this classic flavor combination, I’ve added a layer of creamy Ricotta cheese mixed with sweet chopped basil and grated Romano cheese.
They’re quick tasty bites that are so easy to make!
Read more at ZagLeft.com
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!