Slices of toasted Italian bread topped with a flavorful basil ricotta spread, creamy mozzarella, roasted tomatoes and a lovely balsamic vinaigrette.
- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 15 min
- 4-6 slices of French or Italian Bread
- 5 large Basil leaves, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toast bread 5 minutes or until golden.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chopped basil, ricotta, Romano, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix together the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
- Spread one-fourth of the ricotta mixture on each bread slice. Top with a slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the mozzarella.
- In a single layer, working in batches if necessary, bake toasts 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through and mozzarella is melted.
- Garnish with reserved basil
For this recipe, I’ve combined all the wonderful ingredients found in a classic Caprese Salad and incorporated them into little hand-held Caprese Toasts which were made in my oven. To this classic flavor combination, I’ve added a layer of creamy Ricotta cheese mixed with sweet chopped basil and grated Romano cheese.
They’re quick tasty bites that are so easy to make!
Read more at ZagLeft.com